Tuesday, September 29, 2015

GIVE // If You Continually Give, You Will Continually Have

DSC_0786

When I first started blogging, I felt so weird and lost and alone. I had a long list of hobbies that I was embarrassed to reveal in large groups. Things like knitting, holistic health and doing every from scratch seemed so difficult to explain to people, and when I did have the courage to bring something up, it was always met with adversity. ("You can buy a scarf instead of wasting your time knitting" or "If all of those herbs worked, modern medicine wouldn't exist") It was difficult to live as fully as I wanted.

But a few years of blogging has given me the confidence to embrace my realness. To live a life that's complete and full and even abundant. The reason? ALL OF YOU. You may not know, but you're my secret cheerleaders. I may wake up to an Instagram comment that not only brightens my day, but motivates me to do more. To be more. To be ME. I may get a Facebook message from someone I haven't seen in ages, explicitly cheering me on (even when their own life is hectic and overwhelming). I'm so grateful.

DSC_0778

As I dig out my own space, and you all bring your shovels and your smiles and support, things grow. Things are made. Unique, special things that are results of alchemy or collaboration.

Pat and I joke that we both have "internet best friends", but it's totally true.

Forest of The Rose Journals is one of those people. A few months ago, we agreed to a swap/barter situation after following each other of Instagram for a little while. He made me a beautiful fragrance with patchouli and vetiver and magic. It came so quickly and with a long handwritten letter. The was so much trust and authenticity in his gesture.

My end of our deal was that I would make him a scarf. I picked my very favorite yarn from my collection and a pattern that I have never knit before. It turns out that knitting a scarf out of sock yarn takes AGES. But he was patient.

This is what I sent him.

DSC_0772
PATTERN: CHEVRON SCARF / YARN: EIDOS THE VERDANT GRYPHON

This is what I learned:

-Be connected to the things you give, receive with gratitude.
-Not all friends need to live next door, your people are everywhere.

XO
Robbie