Sunday, October 4, 2015

NESTING // AUTUMNAL APPLE & BEESWAX DIPPED LEAF GARLAND

DSC_0876

Last Christmas, almost all of our decorations could be divided into three groups; natural, heirloom or antique (these terms don't always go hand in hand). We made pomanders and a gingerbread house, I had a few older decorations from my grandparents, and we found a few little things at antique shops. We bought fresh garland and wreaths from a local tree farm.

Our home felt so warm and authentic (and so far removed from the plastic and glitter holidays I had become accustomed to) that I wanted to find a way to make the fall holidays feel the same. Gone are the days of battery operated flying bats and styrofoam pumpkins, we're ushering fall in with a much subtler hand.

It's not easy to find simple, natural decorating ideas. I almost gave up until I stumbled across some Waldorf School crafts on Pinterest (follow our fall board here). I even read the stories about the mama apple tree and it's babies full of stars. PURE MAGIC.

DSC_0755

We immediately agreed on a dried apple garland in homage of the apple tree story, and got to work right away.

DSC_0761

We alternated slicing some Red Delicious apples on the mandolin and dipping them into cinnamon. Unfortunately, I bought them hastily at the grocery store and they are our least favorite so not much snacking happened. We decided to make two garlands; one as a test and then the real thing and I'm glad we did. The first garland fell apart quickly, because I thought blanket stitching the super thin apple slices would be the best way to secure them. It wasn't. A simple box knot was the answer. I have a propensity to overcomplicate things.

DSC_0794

Once the apples were on the bakers twine, we decided the garland was a little anemic. I've been OBSESSED with Taproot magazine lately and remembered an article that mentioned dipping fall leaves in beeswax. (Of course, we have plenty from the failed teacup candles.) So, we wandered around the neighborhood foraging for pretty leaves.

DSC_0758

We brought them home, put on a Fleet Foxes record and melted the wax over a double boiler. The process was as simple as dipping the leaves into the hot wax and hanging them to dry. It didn't take any more than an hour.

DSC_0882

We've both been so very busy that I really enjoyed having some time to slow all the way down, enjoy nature and make something beautiful together.

XO
Robbie