Wednesday, February 10, 2016

COCKTAIL // Valentine's Day Sloe 75

DSC_0893
Happy [almost] Valentine's Day! I hope everyone has something fun planned with their sweeties, whether that's a boyfriend, girlfriend, or obese cat. Robbie and I will both be working this Valentine's Day, but we decided to celebrate our own way a few days early. Rather than going out to a swanky restaurant, we decided to spend the day doing yoga and pampering ourselves before going to a hole-in-the-wall pho restaurant.  Somewhere between downward facing dog and slurping up rice noodles, I made Robbie a cocktail to say "I love you!"
DSC_0764

It was Robbie's idea to have a champagne cocktail; a bottle of Vueve is always a nice treat, but we thought it would be hilarious to use pink cans of bubbly. The cocktail we made is a twist on a French 75, which normally has gin, lemon and champagne. Ours uses Greenhook Beach Plum Gin, the American cousin of sloe gin. This summer, when Robbie would walk on the beach before he went into work, he would find secret spots where beach plums grew. It was my dream to forage them and make my own version of sloe gin, so I was pretty happy to find out that someone else had done just that.

DSC_0876

Pink and fruity aren't usually words that describe my favorite cocktails, but I'm pretty sweet on this plum flavored champagne cocktail. I especially loved how easy it was to throw together; you don't want to ever let your ambitious V-day plans take time away from cuddling with your loved one. After making this, snuggle on your sheep skin together surrounded by beeswax candles, and enjoy your night.

DSC_0873

Sloe 75:

2 oz of Greenhook Beach Plum Gin
.75 oz of lemon juice
2 sugar cubes
Sparking wine (canned or bottled)

Combine gin, lemon juice and sugar cubes in a cocktail shaker over ice. Shake vigorously to incorporate the sugar. Strain into two champagne flutes, and top with sparkling wine.

Enjoy!
Pat

DSC_0756