Tuesday, January 21, 2014

RECIPE: Kimchi and Tofu Tacos.


Untitled
When Robbie and I first started dating, my favorite thing to do was cook for him. Because of his preference for vegetarian and internationally inspired dishes, it was an opportunity for me to cook out of my comfort zone. After a few months of dating, however, I discovered that I love cooking with him so much more. He's great to bounce ideas off of and has an amazing ability to improvise.
Untitled
This week we decided that we wanted something light and spicy. My first thought was tacos, but the last thing I wanted was ground beef and prepackaged spice mixes. I thought that tofu seemed like an odd choice of protein for tacos until Robbie reminded me that we used it to make nachos (with great success). We then decided we wanted to make the tacos Korean, as it gave us the opportunity to use kimchi, which neither of us had previously used.
UntitledUntitled
Untitled 
Ingredients:
1 block of extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled.
2 tbsp canola oil
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger
2 tsp sesame seeds

4 small flour tortillas

Toppings:
lime juice
kimchi
pomegranate seeds

Warm up the the canola and sesame oil in a large saute pan. Once hot add red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds. Allow these ingredients to heat up until fragrant, and then add the tofu. The tofu should cook for 8-10 minutes, or until it starts to brown.

Warm up the tortillas in a pan for a minute and then assemble your tacos! Serve with a side dish of your choice. Robbie and I stir fried rice noodles with the same ingredients used to fry the tofu.

This dish was great with a She & Him album playing in the background and stories about the better points of our day.
Untitled

kimchi taco

Enjoy!

XO
Pat